The Associazione Verace pizza Napoletana (Association of the True Neapolitan Pizza) proposed the following rules for Neapolitan pizza to L' Associazone Pizzaiole Europei (European Pizzamakers Assn.).
1. Only flour, water, yeast and salt in the dough.
2. If the dough is not kneaded by hand, the mixer used must be approved by the Association. [Only mixers that do not appreciably heat the dough are allowed.]
3. Dough must be punched down by hand.
4. The diameter must not exceed 30 centimeters.
5. The pizza must be baked on the floor of the oven, not on a pan.
6. The oven must be made of brick or similar materials and must be fueled with wood.
7. The oven temperature must be at least 400°C.
8. Marinara must be made with tomato, oregano, garlic, olive oil and salt. Margherita with tomato, mozzarella, olive oil, basil and salt.
9. The crust must be well done, fragrant, with a high soft edge. It must not be crusty.
10. Variations are permitted provided they do not conflict with good taste and culinary laws.
Sorry. No information on contributors is available for this page.
Copyright © 2000 Sizes, Inc. All rights reserved.
Last revised: 3 September 2007.